Many believers find that prayer, especially spending long amounts of time in prayer, can be one of the hardest parts of spiritual discipline. The Prayer Hand is an easy way to remember five essential aspects of prayer: confession, petition, intercession, thanksgiving and praise. Pray through each of these five purposes, using the Prayer Hand to walk through each. Remember that prayer is ultimately about aligning our own hearts with God’s, and just as the fifth aspect explains below (illustrated by the thumb), praises to God should permeate every part of our prayer.
- The little finger represents confession: I agree with God about my sin. 1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
- The ring finger represents petition: I ask God to provide for my needs. 1 Samuel 1:27 – I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him.
- The middle finger represents intercession: I ask God to provide for the needs of others. Ephesians 6:18-19 – And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel.
- The index finger represents thanksgiving: I thank God for what He has done in, through, and for me. I also thank Him for His answers to prayers in the lives of those around me and for His ongoing work across the nation and the world. Ephesians 5:20 – always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- The thumb represents praise: I let my enjoyment and adoration of God overflow into words. As the thumb is able to touch all four other fingers, so praise should permeate every part of my prayer life. Psalm 146:1-2 – Praise the Lord. Praise the Lord, my soul. I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
The following is a PDF document of the illustration of The Prayer Hand.
Praying The Attributes of God
Learning God’s character is essential to really knowing Him. You can’t have a relationship with someone without knowing who they are and what they’re like. It is definitely rewarding and worthwhile to study, meditate upon and call out to God by His revealed names and attributes.
Here is a resource to help you learn some attributes of God and their basis in Scripture.
If you would like some personal help with prayer, don’t hesitate to contact us!Contact Us